Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Travel Inspiration

Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to travel the world. I would sit in my grandmother's living room, which is now my husband's and my living room, and look through her photo albums full of her adventures to Greece, Morocco, and Hawaii to name a few. My grandmother took me on my first plane ride when I was in the second grade. We flew to Las Vegas to visit her sister. I loved being my grandmother's traveling companion, and because of her a love for traveling was born.

However, my grandmother was not the only one to inspire my travel bug. My parents and I took many family vacations when I was growing up. Probably the most memorable one for me was when we went to Williamsburg, VA, Washington D.C., and my father's hometown of Philadelphia, PA. Even when we weren't taking long trips, we frequently took day trips to everywhere in a four-hour radius of Tupelo, MS. My father worked six days a week for many years, but Saturdays were always family days. Whether we went to Tishomingo State Park, the space center in Huntsville, or even the Land Between the Lakes located on the border of TN and KY, my parents were committed to introducing me to my region.

When I was in the third grade I bought a children's atlas at a school book fair, and I have been mapping out my journey around the world ever since. A little under three years ago I married my best friend and life-long travel partner, Logan. Together we are exploring the world one state and one country at a time. We have set the goal of traveling to all fifty states and all seven continents. Actually, I set that goal, but Logan is fully on board, except he still doesn't believe me that we're going to Antartica.

3 comments:

  1. So, you were inspired to keep a travel blog, eh? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started a blog too! I guess the writing/sharing bug is hitting again. Keep writing; I live vicariously through your travels. Matt and I will be going to Costa Rica this year, though.

    If you're intersted in mine: http://cerebrallunchbox.blogspot.com

    Love you! Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli, yes, I was inspired. I have spent the last several days pondering potential post topics. It's probably a good thing we don't have internet at our house yet.

    Jessica, I just added your blog. If you remember, I am a little tech illiterate, so the fact that I found out how to do that in under two minutes proves either that blogger is user friendly or I'm getting better. More than likely, the former is true. I will be talking to you about Costa Rica. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete